While traveling to the Philippines I had time to think about things I want to accomplish in my life. Not having access to television frees up a surprising amount of time to think when you are an American. Although I did really, really, really miss the entire 2012 Olympics.
Anyway, here is a list of things I want to accomplish in 2012.
2012 Bucket List
5. See the Irish Rovers
My wife and I have tickets for the Irish Rovers in November. This may not seem like a big deal, but my wife has wanted to see them perform live for most of her life. She had a couple opportunities before when they came to the U.S., but she missed those chances for various reasons. They are a Canadian band that occasionally plays in the U.S. So when we saw they were going to be near Seattle… I got the tickets.
**My wife always wanted to see a bald Eagle in the wild, but she did not see one until this year in the Northwest. Did we see it at one of the parks we visited looking for the Bald Eagle? Nope. She saw it fly across the highway while she was driving… she almost wrecked, but she finally saw a Bald Eagle flying and it was not in a zoo.**
4. Begin Training for a marathon
I want to run at least one marathon in my life. It’s just a goal, something to do. I have never wanted to sky dive or climb to the top of Mt. Everest, but running a marathon is something I want to do. I am targeting the 2013 Seattle Marathon.
3. Get back into oil painting
I enjoyed oil painting when I was in high school. When I went to college I did not realize I would not paint again for 19 years! I miss it, but looking at supplies I can see I will need to save up a little money to buy some used stuff. But I want to start painting again.
2. Finish my masters paper
I just returned from the Philippines where I did my research. Finishing the paper before the end of 2012 will be a tall order, but I think it is possible.
1. Start a family
My wife and I have had challenges to getting pregnant. We thought it would be fun to have gotten pregnant in the Philippines. We joked about naming our kid Manny or maybe Philip. Although we did not get pregnant in the Philippines, we hope to be pregnant before the end of the year.
Adoption is something we have talked about before. It is something we want to do even if we have biological kids. So if we are unable to get pregnant, adoption is something we are cool with.
Random Bucket List
Things I want to accomplish before I die, not necessarily things to accomplish before the end of 2012. My goal is to get these things done as soon as possible so that I can create another Bucket List of amazing things to do before I die.
- I have been to Kampala (Uganda), Beijing China, New York City, San Francisco, Denver Colorado… London England, Manila and Bacolod City in the Philippines, but never Washington D.C. This is something I hope to change… maybe in 2013.
- Start a free college. I began thinking about this a couple months ago because of the wild tuition increases at colleges. I don’t want an internet college. I want a college with live professors and buildings and classrooms. It would be small (2000 or less), and probably use the Socratic teaching style. I think I need to finish my certificate in nonprofit management along with my PhD before I tackle this idea though. Originally I envisioned this college existing in America. But after visiting the Philippines and seeing so many high school graduates who could not afford college, maybe I will try to do something like that in the Philippines… and make it open to more than 2000 students. I do not have a name for the college yet… although I know it will NOT be named after me.
- Finish my PhD in sociology (poverty and healthcare).
- I want to write a fiction novel that gets published.
- Have a decent size farm so that I can raise a lot of my own food… a couple cows, large gardens, chickens, a few pigs, etc. Yeah, I know that means I probably won’t be teaching at NYU or UCLA… but I’m cool with that.
- Attend the Olympic Games… summer and winter. The 2016 summer Olympics will be right in the middle or end of my PhD process… but 2020 is a real possibility. The 2018 Winter Games are in South Korea, and that is a goal I think I could hit. It is hard to know what my work schedule will be like 6 years from now.
- Have some kids and grandkids.
- Run a marathon (target is the 2013 Seattle Marathon).
- Go to Italy. Why? Because I love Italian food… and I have always wanted to go to Italy. When I went to Uganda, the Pineapple tasted better than Pineapple in America. And when I went to the Philippines I loved the mangoes there (and I don’t like mangoes in America). But will “Italian” Italian food be better than “American” Italian food? We’ll see.
This list was inspired by Bucket List Publications. Do you have a Bucket List for 2012?