Among my bucket list of many dreams is attending the Olympics. I want to attend the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics at least once. I admire the skill, hard work, and grace that athletes have when performing incredible feats.
I am training for a marathon so I know how hard it is just to finish an event. To be competing against the absolute best in the world is something that is really admirable in Olympic athletes. The Olympics are so skill heavy that the number 10th place finisher isn’t necessarily a loser… it just means they are the 10th best at his/her sport. You know, 10th best in the “world.”
There are several must see events for me at the Summer Olympics:
- Men’s and Women’s 100-meter dash: These athletes are smoking fast. I could have a 20-meter head start and still lose.
- Men’s and Women’s Diving: Diving is graceful.
- Soccer (football): The best footballers in the world representing their country in the most popular sport in the World. The energy will be second only to the World Cup.
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball: Mainly to watch USA basketball.
- Weightlifting: This sport is boring … but I am amazed at the feats of strength. The weaklings are still at least twice as strong as I am if not more.
- *and then stop in at other sports between the above events I want to see… such as volleyball, pole vault, swimming, etc*
* * *
Wrestling has history in the Olympics. And it seems bizarre for a Summer Olympics to not feature wrestling. Wrestling showcases amazing athletes using strength and speed. Not having wrestling at the Olympics is like a professional sports team that doesn’t have a mascot. It’s something that is supposed to be there because of tradition. The Olympics without without wrestling feels kinda Twilight Zoneish.
But I don’t go to a professional sporting event to see the mascot. And I never wanted to go to the Olympics to see wrestling. I have seen high school wrestling live and I have seen college and Olympic wrestling on television. To me wrestling is very boring to watch. Maybe if you are the parent, brother, or sister of one of the wrestlers it feels different, but to me it is boring. So my Olympic experience will not be negatively impacted by the absence of wrestling.
I believe my point of view of wrestling represents the casual U.S. sports viewer who pays attention once every four years… Continue reading “No Wrestling!?!?” Eh, That Will Not Ruin the Olympics for Me